This recipe was kindly supplied by Janikka (one of our lovely staff members) and adapted from a Maggie Beer recipe.
- 7 large granny smith apples
- 2 tbs of Red Fruits (or desired fruit infusion tea)
- 20g 1 tbspn brown sugar
- 100g 2/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 100g traditional style oats
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 100g unsalted butter
- ½ cup of coconut flakes
- Nuts if desired
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into wedges and place in a medium saucepan.
- Infuse* water with fruit infusion (approx. 1ltr water per tbs of fruit infusion).Add the apple wedges and bring to a gentle simmer. Continue to cook until tender but not mushy (about 20 minutes). Check to see that apple wedges are cooked through.
- Remove the apples from the saucepan, discarding the fruit infusion mixture^, and arrange in the base of an oven proof dish.
*using an infuser at this stage will make the removal of the fruit infusion at the next step easier.
^you don’t have to remove all of the fruit infusion if you don’t want to as the fruit infusions are edible. If left in they can add extra texture and flavour.
- Mix together the brown sugar, plain flour, oats, ground cinnamon, coconut, and nuts in a mixing bowl.
- Using a vegetable grater, grate the butter onto the flour mixture, and incorporate using the tips of your fingers until mixed like course breadcrumbs.
- Top the apples with the crumble mixture and bake in the oven preheated for 30 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve. Delicious with cream or ice-cream.