This is a scrumptious cheesecake recipe but please note that it's best to make the Rooibos Syrup in advance (even the day before) so you can progress with making your cheesecake without delays. Any left over Rooibos syrup is lovely over pancakes!
- 100g butter or margarine, melted
- 2 packets of sweet biscuits - crushed (can be a plain chocolate biscuit)
- 500g cream cheese
- 1 tin of caramel condensed milk
- 250ml Rooibos Syrup (see recipe below and needs to be made in advance)
- 20ml caramel essence
- 500ml fresh cream
- 30g caster sugar
- 15g powdered gelatin, dissolved in 50ml of warm, strong Rooibos
- To make the biscuit crust, mix the crushed biscuits with the melted butter or margarine. Press the mixture into the base of a greased pie dish or loose-bottomed cake tin (23cm in diameter).
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese, condensed milk, Rooibos syrup and caramel essence together.
- Whip the cream and castor sugar to the soft peak stage.
- Add the gelatin to the cream cheese mixture and fold in the cream. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the crust. Refrigerate for approximately 5 hours.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, chocolate curls and a dusting of icing sugar.
Serves 8 - 12 Recipe and photos on Rooibos Ltd by Jaco Slabber
Rooibos Syrup Recipe
- 2 litres of water
- 12g loose leaf Rooibos (or 5 tea bags)
- 50ml honey
- 280g white sugar
- 20ml lemon juice
- 10ml vanilla essence
- Combine all the ingredients, except the vanilla essence, in a large saucepan. Stir over low heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Boil over moderate heat for 45 - 50 minutes until reduced and syrupy.
- Strain and remove the Rooibos leaves from the mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Allow the syrup to cool before using.
Makes about 300 - 350mls
Recipe and photos on Rooibos Ltd by Anida van der Spuy