Traditionally Matcha (or Maccha) is used in the Japanese tea ceremony but in more modern times it has become popular in cooking because of its bright green colour. Matcha is made from high grade green tea leaves and goes through quite a labour intensive growing and production process.
This means it's not the cheapest tea on the market, but the health benefits of Matcha exceed those of other green teas because the whole leaf is ingested and not just the brewed water. This lovely 'Green Tea Gelato' is great for something a little different, so why not give it a go. In this recipe we've used an ice cream maker to make things a little easier.
- 1 tbspn Green Tea Powder (Matcha/Maccha)
- 100ml Thickened Cream
- 45g Sugar
- 100ml Whole Milk
- 1 Egg White
- 2 - 3 drops Vanilla Essence
- Melt green tea powder with whole milk, use a whisk to gently combine
- Beat egg white and sugar with electric mixer until stiff
- Stir whole milk mixture into egg white mixture
- Heat the mixture over low heat and stir constantly
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla essence
- Whisk cream until volume is doubled and peak is formed
- Combine cooled milk mixture with the cream
- Transfer cooled down mixture to an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions