Try these light and fluffy chocolate cupcakes with a scrumptious maccha butter frosting - yum!! Makes about 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups Sprite softdrink (do not use diet!)
- 1 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons maccha powder
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Generously spray the inside of the cupcake liners with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Sprite, cocoa powder, and butter over a medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy - do not over-beat, as it could cause the cake to be tough!
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake liners/tin and bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking time, until a small skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, add the butter to a medium bowl. Sift the icing sugar and maccha powder over the butter and add the buttermilk. Using a hand-mixer, beat until smooth, about 1 - 2 minutes, being sure not to over-beat the butter. You might need to add 1 more teaspoon of buttermilk to reach the right consistency.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag (a 4B start tip works well). If you like you can pipe it in a circular motion, or you can pipe it to make little stars like those in the pictures.
Recipe and photos from A COSY KITCHEN website.