This tea parfait recipe can be made with any tea so experiment and let us know which is your favourite.
- 4 tablespoons of Gelatine or a box of unflavoured jelly crystals (Aeroplane Jelly makes a great one).
- 3 cups of the tea – your choice (teas without too much citrus work the best)
- ½ cup cold water
- Plain Sponge
- 1 small tub of Double Cream
- ½ cup of chopped fruit (fresh or tinned, it’s your choice but strawberries and peach work really well)
- 2 + 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 4 glasses for serving in.
Making the tea jelly
- In a container, pour 2 ½ cups of tea over 4 tablespoons of gelatine. Reserving the last ½ cup of tea for later.
- Mix the tea and gelatine until combined add 3 tablespoons of sugar and stir well.
- Add ½ cup cold water and refrigerate until set.
- If you are using a box of unflavoured jelly crystals prepare as per the instructions on the box, replacing the water element with tea.
Making the Parfait
- Take the reserved ½ cup of tea and add 2 tablespoons of sugar, stir well until sugar is dissolved, this is easier to do when the tea is hot.
- Cut up your sponge into pieces that will fit into your glasses. Use a cookie cutter to create perfect circles, otherwise slicing into cubes will work just as well.
- Dunk the sponge pieces in the tea and sugar mixture, don’t let them soak as they will go soggy and fall apart.
- Take your set jelly and smash it up with a fork, we have found that doing this helps when trying to get a nice even layer in the glass plus it looks like little crystals.
- Now start layering! One layer of tea soaked sponge one good sized layer of smashed Tea Jelly a small layer of cream, a little bit of double cream goes a long way! A layer of fruit.
- Repeat the layers and finish with a nice layer of fruit on top